Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Non-Immigrant Visas

The Department of State acknowledges the International Civil Aviation Authority Organization (ICAO) deadline, requiring all travelers have a machine readable passport by November 24, 2015.  Please note that under U.S. law a machine readable passport is NOT required for visa issuing purposes.  So long as an applicant presents a valid passport, a visa can be placed in it.

What is a non-immigrant visa?

Nonimmigrant visas are for international travelers (non-U.S. citizens) who would like travel to the United States temporarily. The visa, placed in your passport when issued, allows you to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry (airport, for example) and request permission from a Customs and Border Protection immigration officer to enter the United States. A visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. It simply indicates that a U.S. consular officer has determined that you are eligible to apply for entry to the United States for a specific purpose. 

What type of non-immigrant visa do you need?

International travelers come to the United States for a wide variety of reasons, including tourism, business, medical treatment and certain types of temporary work. The type of visa needed is defined by immigration law, and relates to the principal purpose of your travel. For an overview of the types of nonimmigrant visas available, please visit the following web page: Visa Types for Temporary Visitors.

How do I apply for a non-immigrant visa?

To find out how to apply for a non-immigrant visa, please click the following link:

Consular fees have been updated. Please click here for more information: Fees for Consular Services to Change on September 12, 2014 (September 14, 2014).

For information on visas for national government officials, diplomats, and international officials, please click here: Official Visas

Emergency Travel

Applying for a student visa?

Exchange Visitor Program

  • There is now a new website that offers information about the Exchange Visitor program. These programs allow foreign citizens to study, research, and/or work in the United States. To find out more, please visit