Interagency Agriculture Team
Embassy Kabul’s Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Agricultural Affairs (OAA) works closely with all U.S. Embassy mission elements to provide technical assistance for the improvement of Afghanistan’s agricultural sector. Agriculture is the main source of income for the Afghan economy with up to 80 percent of Afghan livelihoods consisting of farming, livestock or both. Decades of war, drought and social upheaval have devastated the country’s agricultural sector. OAA works closely with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL). The Embassy’s agricultural team will continue to play a critical role in the effort to rebuild the agricultural economy of Afghanistan and to provide long-term and sustainable development. USDA and USAID also engage with provincial and district Directorates of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (DAILs), extension agents, agribusinesses and farmers around the country.
Our goals with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan include:
- Increased agricultural sector jobs and income
- Increased agricultural activity
- Regenerate agribusiness
- Rehabilitate watersheds and improve irrigation infrastructure
- Increase the Ministry’s
capacity to deliver services to rural farmers and herders and promote the
private sector and farmer associations
Documents and Websites
- USDA/USAID Agricultural Sector Fact Sheet.
- USDA Afghan Winter Grains Report (Jan. 2014).
- USDA Foreign Agricultural Service Afghanistan page: http://www.fas.usda.gov/regions/south-and-central-asia/afghanistan
- USAID Afghan Agriculture page: http://www.usaid.gov/afghanistan/agriculture
- Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL): http://mail.gov.af/en
- Ministry of Rural
Rehabilitation and Development: http://mrrd.gov.af/en
Using the general email box number assures that your message will be answered promptly even if the officer who is the primary point of contact on your issue is away from the office.
Phone: +93 0700 114 440
Unit 6180, Box 1046
US Embassy – Kabul
DPO AE 09806
Kabul is 9½ hours ahead of EST; 8½ hours ahead of EDT.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.