U.S. Department of Agriculture
U.S. Embassy Kabul’s Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Agricultural Affairs (OAA) provides technical assistance for the improvement of Afghanistan’s agricultural sector. Agriculture is the main source of income for the Afghan economy with up to 80 percent of Afghan livelihoods consisting of farming, livestock or both. Decades of war, drought and social upheaval devastated Afghanistan’s agricultural sector. OAA works closely with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL) to rebuild the agricultural economy of Afghanistan and to provide long-term and sustainable development. Our goals with the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan include increasing agricultural sector jobs and income, increasing agricultural activity, regenerating agribusiness, rehabilitating watersheds and irrigation infrastructure, and delivering services to rural farmers and herders that promote private sector and farmer associations.
Documents and Websites
- USDA/USAID Agricultural Sector Fact Sheet.
- USDA Afghan Winter Grains Report (Jan. 2014).
- USDA Foreign Agricultural Service Afghanistan page:http://www.fas.usda.gov/regions/south-and-central-asia/afghanistan
- USAID Afghan Agriculture page:http://www.usaid.gov/afghanistan/agriculture
- Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL):http://mail.gov.af/en
- Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development:http://mrrd.gov.af/en
Using the general email box number assures that your message will be answered promptly even if the officer who is the primary point of contact on your issue is away from the office.
Phone: +93 0700 114 440
Unit 6180, Box 1046
US Embassy – Kabul
DPO AE 09806
Kabul is 9½ hours ahead of EST; 8½ hours ahead of EDT.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.