The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit provides notary services for persons wishing to execute documents in the presence of a U.S. consular officer. This service is available to both U.S. and foreign citizens who need to have documents notarized for use in the United States.
You must schedule an appointment to request notary services. Please use the online Appointment System to choose a date and time. You are required to appear in person at the U.S. Embassy for notary services.
Please follow the steps below to request notary services.
Schedule an appointment. Please use the online Appointment System to choose a date and time. You must appear in person at the U.S. Embassy.
Gather the following items to bring to your appointment:
- The document to be notarized – DO NOT sign the document. Ensure that you understand the contents of the document – a consular officer cannot explain it to you nor can the officer advise you on any legal aspect of the document.
- A government-issued photo ID, such as a valid passport U.S driver’s license
- Witnesses – if required. Each witness must present valid photo identification.
- The appropriate fee - $50.00 per signature – To be paid in U.S. dollars, cash only.
Consular officers are unable to assist you with preparing your document and cannot provide any legal advice on any aspect of what should be included in the document, if the document must be notarized, if the document requires witnesses, nor if the document will be valid in the jurisdiction in which it will be used.
The Embassy cannot authenticate or make certified copies of public documents or academic records issued in the United States.
For more information on notary and authentication services, visit the Notarial and Authentication Services page of the Department of State website.
Phone: +93 (0)700 108 499
We answer the ACS line from Sunday through Thursday from 8:00 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 16:00 (excluding U.S. and Afghan holidays).
Emergency Line:+93 (0)700 201 908 This line is ONLY to be used for reporting an emergency involving a U.S. Citizen. From the United States, please call 011-93-700-201-908. The ACS Help Desk and Emergency Line phone numbers are NOT to be used for visa questions.
Register With Us
- Please Register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. This allows us to better assist residents and travelers in the event of an emergency and to keep you informed regarding security issues and consular services.